
This is my grandmother as a young mother. She passed away on March 8, 2006, three years ago yesturday. She is sitting there with the dark dress, next to her was her mother (my great-grandmother - Leonor Gomez Sanchez, which I can still remember). That is my mother, Elena Detari Lalonde, as a baby in the arms of her aunt. I was so blessed to have had my grandmother with me both times when my boys were born. I have pictures of them with her. We will always cherish the times spent with her.

This is my grandmother as I remember her the last few years of her life. My grandmother was a very active lady, and loved to talked and tell stories of her past. She had such a shap mind, too. She remembered details of when Larry and I were newly married and took her with us on a trip to Mississippi. She also loved to entertain and loved to cook. She would not just cook, but would make the plates so presentable. I would always tell her not to worry about it, that we just wanted to eat her delicious food and were not interested in how the food looked in the plate, but she would still make it look so nice all the time.

Here is my twin sister, Leonor (she was named after my maternal grandmother- I was named after my paternal grandmother); my oldest sister, Jackie; my cousin, Erica; and I, at the side of my grandmother's tomb in La Ceiba, Honduras, on January 2007. I miss you grandma, and will always love you.
8 comments:
I met your grandmother. She was so fun to be around. I remember her telling me stories and her sense of humor. Thank you for sharing your memories of her. It is always important to remember our roots.
Brings back such wonderful memories of a beautiful woman. I remember sitting on the porch in LaCeiba, listening to the stories she would tell of all the years gone by. I will always cherish those moments.
She did have a great sense of humor, never a dull moment when you where around her. Rick, I do remember those times of her sitting on the porch in her rocking chair, people loved being around her all the time.
How beutiful. I remember all the wonderfull stories she would tell. My girls love to look at the pictures I have of Honduras and learn of their family there.
Thanks Tia for the memories you shared.
Those are beautiful memories of abuela, there was never a dull moment with her telling us her stories and jokes too, she was always a very active lady.
Noni
Rember her affectionately. I remeber her giving me advice just before I got married, 28 years ago !! How to treat my future husband, she was so precious !! Your grandfather drove me and Eduardo to church for our wedding ! Go figure how this happened, don't remeber, but he was the one that drove us. Great , great wonderful people. I remember so much about them ! specially Dona Leonor, her wonderful conversation, what a lady. Her favorite song: Amapola . The other day I was listening Andrea Bocelli singing it, I immediately thought of her......Irmelena
We do miss abuela so much, I will have to get Larry to download Amapola with Adrea Bocelli singing it (we love his songs) to remember abuela even more.
Hello ! My name is Marcell Lenkefi (from Hungary,Budapest)whose grandmather name is irma detari. My grandmother`s uncle was Francesco Detari. My grandmother is ninety (90 years old). Francesco Detari was born in Cegled a hungarian city 70 kilometres far from Budapest the capital of Hungary. Francesco Detari was the youngest brothers of a five-child family.
Best regards
Marcell Lenkefi Hungary, Budapest
Post a Comment